How to Install Kodi on Roku – Installation Guide
Kodi software is the most popular and widely used media center software in the world. The software has a large number of popular and popularly downloaded add-ons, making it one of the most popular software on the internet. Kodi (pronounced “Knightsbridge”) is an open source and free media player software program developed by the XBMC foundation, a non-commercial technology consortium. It can be freely used on multiple operating systems, with a ten-foot user-interface for use with remote controls and TVs.Read on to know more about Kodi and how to install kodi on roku.
Features Of Kodi
- The most popular feature of the Kodi software is its user-friendly interface. It is very easy to operate, with simple steps and easy navigation options. You do not have to be an expert computer programmer to use this software; anyone with basic computer knowledge will be able to use it. Furthermore, you can install it on your PC and use it with an ordinary USB stick.
- Another feature that is really beneficial is the ability to manage the different settings. The user can easily switch between different profiles. In this way, the user can choose the best profile for his entertainment system. He can also record movies or TV shows using his computer.
- The other good thing about the Kodi software is the fact that it is compatible with almost all major devices. There are several devices that can be connected to the software. This means that you can connect the software to your TV, your laptop, your PlayStation, DVD player and many more. All the devices will be able to use the Kodi software without any problem.
How to install Kodi on Roku
Okay, let’s clarify some important things first. Kodi is a great app and a media center. It is compatible with a lot of devices and popular platforms such as Kodi with Windows, Kodi for Apple’s Mac, Kodi apps for iOS handsets, Kodi APK for Android OS, and Kodi made for Linux-based computers. But sadly, it is not compatible with Roku.
You see, Roku uses a Linux custom-based OS. And since a company owns it, the original developers did not make the Roku OS open for some third-party developers. And this is why Kodi on Roku will not happen. Well, at least in terms of installation.
But there is another way to use Kodi on Roku. And this will involve using another device to stream Kodi on Roku. Here is how you can do it.
Mirror Kodi from Android to Roku
- The first thing you should do is prepare your Android smartphone and download the Kodi APK file.
- Now, if you have not done sideloading an APK file before, you should first do this on your phone.
- Go to your device “Settings” and scroll down to find the “Security” tab.
- Inside the “Security” menu, find the “Unknown Sources” and enable it. This feature will give you permission to install any third-party APK outside of the Google Play Store. Please note that this feature is disabled because of some security reasons. Some third-party apps that are not from the Google Play Store are often rigged with malware and viruses.
- Once the APK file is available on your smartphone, tap on it to start the installation.
- Tap on the “Install” button and wait for a few seconds until you see the “Open” button. This means that Kodi is finally installed on your device.
- Before you tap on the “Open” button, open the screen mirroring feature on your phone. Sometimes it is called “Screencast” or “AllShare Cast.” Typically, it is placed on the notification area along with your Wifi and data quick access buttons. If you cannot find it there, go back again to your device “Settings” and this time find the “More” tab. It should be just among the Data Settings and WiFi Settings tab.
- Once you see it, tap on it to enable Screencast or Mirroring.
- Now, turn on your Roku device.
- Once your Roku device has fully booted up and ready, you need to connect it to the local Wifi network or LAN.
- On your Android smartphone device, go to the Screencast menu. Your Roku device name should then appear on the list of supported devices. Tap on it to establish the connection.
- Once the connection happens, you should now see your Android smartphone screen on your Roku display.
- Now go to the Kodi app and tap on it to launch it.
- You may now stream all your video content using Kodi on the Roku device.
It will have been nice for Apple product users if this method is also available for them. The problem is that Apple uses its own technology of screencasting. That is why they cannot connect to Roku yet. I’m sure in the future this technology will be finally available to them.